The Saturday Evening Girls Club
- What values did young women in 1908 North End of Boston share? Why or why not do you think they are still practiced in 2017 Boston?
- How did the environment of the North End help/hinder these young women?
- Many people contributed to what may have been a perfect storm of success for the women in the novel. Could/would it have happened without the presence of Miss Edith Guerrier or Mrs. Helen Storrow?
- How would you describe the lives of the four women after the story ends?
- Does some of the behavior as described in the 1900s still exist in the 2000s? Why/why not?
- Do you think that young women are supported, encouraged in similar ways to the fictional characters now? How could we be involved in ways to help young women forge ahead?
- Discuss the outlook differences and goals of these particular women. What drove them in their lives?
- What gave Caprice the courage to rebel against her parents and the way of life that had been planned for her, when other characters did not?